Skip to main content


Showing posts with the label line endings

Interesting bug - Line endings and Hash Code

I recently came across an interesting bug which emphasize how different line endings format can break your custom equality implementation if you do not carefully consider them. Context We have an application that periodically updates the local assets with latest updated resources. In a nutshell,  it makes an web api call to get the latest set of metadata and compare them against a locally stored metadata file. If they differs then we update the locally stored metadata file and download new/updated resources. Bug For a particular asset, associated metadata file was always getting updated although there were no visible changes detected using the revision history. Investigation My obvious suspect was the code responsible for doing the equality check between local metadata and the metadata received from the Web API. For verification, I setup a conditional break-point which will be hit when the equality returns false. After my debug hit the break-point, I looked into all the